Reuben’s Arrival

Thursday, 27 May 2010

Our darling baby boy made his first appearance in the big big world at 6am today. At 3.1kg, he’s the biggest of the three at birth (Brandon was 2.7kg, while Andrea weighed in at 2.6kg).

As I write this, the room is dimmed, Reuben is sleeping soundly in his little crib next to my hospital bed, and we are about to spend a night here.

It’s been blissful so far. Reuben has been a very easy baby, rarely crying, and a natural at latching on when he needs to feed. His little whimpers are adorable and very polite. Completely different from Andrea’s screeching! :p I’ve managed to rest up lots—re-reading The Baby Whisperer, watching a little tv, drifting off to nap when my eyes get heavy.

The delivery itself was quick and furiously intense. I had a snack, showered, packed my bags and drove myself here at 11:30pm last night (Han had just begun his presentation at his WebCamp conference, so I couldn’t call him out of that). I roused our servant to mind the kids while waiting for Han to get home. The contractions I had were very regular and had begun to get painful enough to be distracting—hence the decision to finally make my way over to Pantai. I’m glad that I made the move at that point, because if I had waited any longer, the escalating pain could have made it difficult for me to handle the car.

I checked myself in at the labour ward. From there things moved really quickly. Han came by as quick as he could after the conference, stayed for a while and then had to go home to check on the kids. I tried to sleep as much as I could. By 4:15am my strategy of staving off the pain with long deep breaths wasn’t working as well anymore, and I finally asked for entonox. I rang up Han to ask him to make his way to the hospital. By then my cervix was 5cm dilated. By the time he arrived about 30 minutes later though, the pain was really getting to me. My request for Pethidine (I felt a bit ashamed for wanting to have stronger pain relief) was rejected after they examined me again, as I was already 8cm dilated.

The urge to push at that point was unbearable—but I had to wait for my gynae to arrive. I’m so glad Han was there with me, his voice cutting through the haze of drugged-out pain, telling me everything was alright, to keep breathing, that I was doing a great job. I was wrenching his hand and fingers so hard. The nurses and midwives were wonderful too—it helped immensely to sense that they were very experienced.

Finally, when I felt so tired and despairing because there didn’t seem to be an end in sight to the pain, I heard someone tell me that Dr Wong had arrived. Something akin to relief clicked in my head, even as I had my eyes still squeezed shut and wanting so badly to thrash about with my legs. I was thinking, “Oh GOOD you’re  here—that means I can PUSH!”

But moments later, as I gave what felt like the goofiest grin when I saw my doctor, he told me to do the exact opposite. “Don’t push yet!” Before he could tell me why though, I realised that my water bag had just burst at that moment, the bed was getting completely soaked, I was saying, “I’m not pushing, I’m not pushing…!”

Then as if by magic, this gloopy bundle slipped right out without any effort on my part, and Reuben’s first cry followed seconds later.

All notions of pain, fear, and doubt, evaporated with that cry. Here was our third little miracle.

I’m looking at him now. He’s sleeping quite well, but occasionally he scrunches up his face, and lets out the tiniest whimper. When he starts crying, I don’t pick him up, but softly tell him that I’m here, that everything’s okay. And he settles himself back to sleep again.

#1Gravatar imageAcute Critique says:

Congratulations! :)

Though this is the first time i comment on your blog but i have been following your kinder soaps blog and twitter for a while now.

i really like to try your goats milk and honey soap as i love the scent and taste of both of them so much. maybe some other time perhaps. :)

keep making soaps ok? :)

do post up pictures of reuben, im sure he is just as cute as andrea and brandon. :)

#2Gravatar imageHuey says:

Whenever I read how others give birth I can feel that pain on my abdomen. >.<

Welcome Reuben! :)

#3Gravatar imagechristine says:

wow? what a wonderful story. Can’t believe you drove to the hospital all by yourself. Congrats!

#4Gravatar imageruach says:

woohoo…congrats! also, kids’ initials…BARN! :)

#5Gravatar imageKristy says:

Congratulations! It was pretty amazing that you drove there yourself! Give the little sweetie a kiss for me!

#6Gravatar imageAnnette says:

AMAZING! That’s one touching story. And thank you for taking the time (you’ve just been out of the ward after all from birthing a baby!) to write this.

Now I hope the Hypnobirthing classes I had will help me…

Give Reuben a kiss from me. ^^

#7Gravatar imageserena says:

michelle & ngeow - CONGRATS!!! :) can’t wait to see the little 3 ones when I’m back in August! :)

Thanks everyone! I’ve given Reuben lots of kisses on your behalf. Wish you could personally smell his sweet baby scent - there’s nothing quite like it!

Acute Critique: Nice of you to stop by over here. Soap will always be on my curing rack, though I will be taking a break form making them during my confinement period. Will still be busy formulating new varieties in my head though! The goats milk and honey will be a keeper.

Huey: Maybe one day you’ll have your own story to tell. :D

Christine: Like I said, I’m glad I hauled *ss when I did, or things could have turned out a little differently. :p

Ruach: I didn’t notice that! Cute. At least you didn’t suggest having a fourth to make up another word. Argh, I still haven’t collected the train set from your mom yet. :">

Annette: hypnobirthing - now that’s one thing I’ve only heard about recently. Blog about your experience on your blog maybe?

Serena: We’d LOVE to see you too! Keep us posted on your trip dates. Brandon will talk your ears off.

you are a real supermom! congrats again! :) cant wait to see Reuben.

#10Gravatar imageMin Yen says:

You are the bravest woman i know Mich!! (Feeling bad about pentanox as stronger pain relief! I would be screaming for an epidural I think!!)

And Reuben is a lovely name.

It fits somehow.

:) Hugs and kisses

#11Gravatar imageruach says:

haha…no need for a fourth - you’ve got a word with 3. :)

i was actually just thinking it’s a good thing their surname doesn’t start with an “F”.

#12Gravatar imageMaggie says:

Congrats Michelle!!! So happy for you! ;)

kOtAk: Can’t wait to show him off to Bantus either! :D

Min Yen: The truth is, I’m terrified of needles. :”> And Reuben was Han’s suggestion—he’s DEFINITELY a lot better at choosing names than I am (he’s forgiven for every “Fabio” he has thrown out).

ruach: LOL

Maggie: Thanks! Hope to share some photos with you all really soon. :) Are you making any jewelery this weekend?

#14Gravatar imageSally says:

Congrats to you and Hubby for the arrival of your latest bundle of joy!
You did well, girl!
Enjoy this wonderful phase of your life….MOTHERHOOD…
Take care and have a good rest!
YOU DESERVED IT ;)

#15Gravatar imagemindy says:

Congrats you guys on the newest arrival :)

#16Gravatar imageFlora says:

CONGRATS!

May God bless your little boy today and for all his many many days to come!

Flora (from etsy)

#17Gravatar imageNadiah Kimie says:

Congratulations Michelle :) Am so happy to know you and baby Reuben are doing well. I guess he was super excited and just wanted to come out early! The world awaits!

#18Gravatar imagealison says:

congratulations! and hello reuben! :)

#19Gravatar imagechin ee says:

congrats Michelle & hubby….plus the 2 lil’ koko and che che…!!! Baby Reuben is so adorable…! When u’re back home…let us know!! we’ll pop by to see the new addition.

take care!!

#20Gravatar imageBelinda says:

Hi Michelle, I dropped by your etsy shop and read your notice! Congrats to you and your hubby! reading your blog has been both exciting and inspiring. happy to have known a little more about you :)

Sally: Thank you, I certainly will enjoy this!

Mindy: Thanks. When can the kids get to play with you? ;)

Flora: Thanks. He’s certainly a channel for His blessings himself.

Nadiah: Yup, we think so too. But for an early arrival, he’s a really mild-mannered baby! Lucky for us. :p

Alison: I’ll let him know. Maybe he’ll throw you a kissy-pout.

Chin Ee: Okay will do. :) Looking forward to going home as well.

Belinda: Aw, thanks. :) Hope you’re having a great start to your week.

#22Gravatar imageAmanda Yap says:

Congrats Michelle! Glad to meet u before the birth of your baby. Thanks for sharing your birth story. I’m now waiting for the arrival of my baby. And hope that Hypnobirthing will take me through labour painlessly.