So Caught Up With The Details

Tuesday, 30 January 2007

Being in a managerial position is worlds apart from that of being an executive. I've got a sinking feeling that I haven't quite grasped the concept of taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. Whether or not it's by choice or necessity, the fact is that I'm still spending so much time getting my hands dirty in the day-to-day stuff at work that I haven't had the chance nor energy to really sit down and plan.

I can still see it in my mind's eye--my boss trying to mask the look of disappointment when we went through my appraisal cum confirmation. He was being really nice when he said I could do better on certain aspects of my work. I mean, there are different ways to express the need for improvement, and I know that this wasn't of the more I'm-happy-because-I-know-you-can-do-it stance.

The days are packed with all the little things that end up snarling intentions to do the bigger-picture things--the article that needs editing, writing that proposal for an agent, attending to the particularly irate customer, revisiting the layout for a publication, adjusting the typography for an ad... When what I should be doing is firming up my advertising and marketing strategies for the year, finding out how to get onto the good side of editors in the local dailies so we'll be featured more often in the media, and looking into the second fund launch for 2007.

Nada. And my boss keeps reminding me that it needs to be done.

I'm a lousy manager at this point.

in my dept, not having enough manpower makes it hard for us to be “managerial”. how do you plan & strategize if you dont have enough hands to get daily work done? SIGH.

on the other hand, the best way to get on the good side of news editors is: 1) give business to them by advertising in their newspapers, or 2) take them out for dinner / lunch / drinks with your boss (CEO or higher would be best).

Bribery is KEY 😛

Kotak: Heh, thanks for the advice. Guess we’re more or less in the same (work) boat. Yet it’s also helpful to remember that diamonds are produced under the harshest of conditions, no?

#3Gravatar imagekalamari says:

Delegation is the key! Delegate your duties, I’m sure you have minions under you which you can sometime ‘trouble’ for little things. I know my manager does that a lot. Heh.

#4Gravatar imageferret says:

Don’t get too caught up with the execution processes.

I see it every day. Managers and above being anal about every intricate detail and forget what they were designated to do.

Manage.

Not art direct, not copy writing, but to strategise, plan and as the title says it all, manage the brand.

Kalamari and Ferret: Point taken. But what if there’s no one else around who can be anal about the details? Or who cares as much about the importance of typography and layout?

#6Gravatar imageferret says:

Typography and layout is muito importandidade, as with everything else.

My best solution would be to remind the designers/people doing your artwork to take note on these and try not to waste too much time in it, so you can have more time to do things that you’re suppose to 🙂

But of course, that’s an ideal world lar. But we still try anyway. I have no doubt that you’re doing a top job! 🙂

#7Gravatar imagePrissie says:

Hey girly, I know exactly how you feel, being in the same position. It still takes me alot of restraint to delegate and trust that others will get the job done… :p Hang in there and good luck!

i’ve realised one important point when u hv “minions” under u:
trust them to do the work, instead of wanting to do it all yourself. we gotta let go sometimes and i’m sure they’d learn from executing the work itself 🙂