Angry

Tuesday, 27 June 2006

I hope that this bit of news about Kelantan's new effort in spreading the adoption of Islam stays within the state's borders--just what are they thinking? The more they reveal about their ideas on how Islam should be practised/enforced, the more insecure they portray themselves to be. I mean, come on, most muslims won't become apostates just by attending gongxi-raya open houses or other races' festivals. You've gotta give them a bit more credit than that, surely.

Incentives for marrying and converting orang asli

KELANTAN will offer RM10,000 to each Muslim preacher who marries an orang asli woman and naturally converts her as part of renewed efforts to propagate Islam among the 3,000-odd community in the state.

State Religious Affairs committee chairman Hassan Mahamood (PAS – Tawang) said the same incentive was applicable if the preacher was a Muslim woman who took an orang asli husband.

Asked if the preacher may court the orang asli as a second or third wife, Hassan said it depended on the individual.

The latest figures show that in the past five years, 2,904 of some 3,000 orang asli who reside in Gua Musang and Jeli districts, embraced Islam on their own free will.

Hassan said the state government was unhappy with the conversion rate of the orang asli, who traditionally did not subscribe to any main religion.

Besides the monetary incentive, the preachers would also receive free accommodation, a four-wheel-drive vehicle and a fixed monthly allowance of RM1,000.

On criminal activities and social ills among youths, Hassan said these were due to the influence of the western media.

“The Federal Government allowed sex-oriented movies, music and magazines to be accessible to the masses.

“Crime can only be controlled through the Syariah Criminal Procedure Code,” he said.

#1Gravatar imageAndy Heong says:

Mich… I have to say that I have met enough Christians who believe the same. ie They won’t walk into a Hindu’s house celebrating Deepavali or a Chinese Temple even as a tourist. I’ve been to Church services whereby the Pastor advises their congregation not to ‘celebrate’ with their non-Christian friends for non-Christian festivals. Same goes, I know of some Chinese families who forbid their kids from going to X’mas celebrations. Its nothing new or unique to Islam. All religions do the same in one way or another.

#2Gravatar imageTopogigio says:

Speaking as a Muslim Kelantanese….

When preachers are offered wordly gains as a reward for their deeds, you know they’re not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

What are they thinking? It’s politics-lah. Gua Musang is the base for Tengku Razali, the formidable UMNO MP, and getting more ‘converts’ there means they can increase their number of votes for PAS. They’re losing Kelantan, so they’re desperately adding voters however they can. Hence the hefty incentives.

As long as they get the vote, I doubt they give a damn what others would think about them. Oh, and happily blame the damage to ‘outside factors’ and claim to have the cure, AGAIN, to strengthen their votes.

#3Gravatar imageruach says:

A-hahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, I’m outraged too, but I think that? Is. Priceless. But if that isn’t the best incentive to proselytize, I don’t know what is.

#4Gravatar imageMiaow! says:

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!! HEHEHEHEHHE HAHAHHAHA HOHIHUHUHU

sorry… heheh but that’s has gotta be THE silliest bit of news published in… hmmm..dunno how long lah…

thanks for a good laugh hun… and yeah.. I am fuming too.. but i can only change the world one person/day/step at a time.. and so I plod on..

care to company on my plodding journey? (hehe)

Topo, Andy: Sorry, I only just recovered your comments which had been whisked away by my spam filter.

#6Gravatar imageAlfalfa says:

Does that mean if i marry 4 orang aslis i will get RM 4000 allowance, 4 SUVs and RM 40 000?

I can only say one thing about this. Utter bollocks.