Computer Games vs The Wife

Sunday, 19 February 2006

I'm beginning to seriously think Han prefers playing old console games on his laptop to spending time with me. Here's my take on some of the reasons why:

1. The games/laptop never talk back. If either one breaks, you can buy a replacement.
  2. Made a mistake somewhere? No worries--just revert to the last saved game, no apologies required.
  3. You're rewarded immediately with points every time you get something right.
  4. Games don't have their own hobbies. They're always there on demand.
  5. No emotional hangups when you spend time with them.
  6. Games are, to a point, predictable.
  7. Hours of uninterrupted entertainment.

Yes, I am pissed off.

#1Gravatar imageLigeirinho says:

Whoa… take it easy, the dude’s an IT geek! That’s how he handles stress…

#2Gravatar imageKamikaze Kid says:

I agree with Ligeirinho!
That’s how a lot of guys including me take out our frustrations.

There are times when you are so stressed that you just feel like screaming and breaking things ……. well….that’s what console games are for (besides the gym)…. a conduit to vent our excess adrenaline & testosterone running through our arteries & veins at that moment.

The satisfaction when you mow down hundreds of zombies with the Chicago Typewriter or beat the crap out of your opponents in those oldies but goldies like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Soul Calibur series…..somehow helps dissapate anger and sooth the soul….I know it sounds a bit macabre & outlandish but that’s the magic of console games.

Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus?

Don’t worry, Han’s a good guy.
He chose this way to release stress as he is afraid he may rub you the wrong way if he were to talk to you in a state of frustration.
Good point – He will never take out his frustrations on you & family.
Bad point – He needs to be alone for that period and may come across as cold & aloof.

Therefore … let him play for at least 3-4 hours straight…don’t disturb him…..after that, he should be alright. All of the testosterone would have worn out by then. Talk to him gently about what’s bothering him and he should respond to you well. (I hope I’m right on this)

the thing that makes me wonder sometimes when I watch my bro play games all day:

“Don’t games have a PAUSE function somewhere?”

kamikaze kid: when u work full-time, sometimes, 3-4 hours is all the (personal) time you have left in a day 😛

#4Gravatar imageLigeirinho says:

I agree with Kotak. Games have a ‘pause’ and ‘save’, except online games, which I presume (and know actually) her brother plays. Thus, when such situations arise, I recommend self-restraint and playing only when the time of others are not at stake.

Hey, I’m a gamer too, and a geeky online gamer as a matter of fact. And it’s true I have only a few precious hours of time after work. So to remedy it, I’m gonna quit my job and move to a company with less travelling time, and less working hours, and less stressful, so that I have more time for my games and will not feel compelled to play all the time because I won’t be as stressed as I am now.

OR, I could write a blog… XP

Heheh, thanks for all your input guys. 🙂 You made me think again about how I felt and yeah, I guess I was a bit too harsh–but console games are still evil.

Kamikaze Kid: You’ve finally said something! :p I’m glad you did. Keep ’em coming.

#6Gravatar imageWu Han says:

For the record, I just want to say, I’d much rather spend time with the wife than play console games-I swear it.

#7Gravatar imagedesriel says: